Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Sluts Need Love Too

The title for this post is stolen (with permission) from my pro choice discussion board. It was far too good to pass up. I LOVE these women. Pondering the realities of my beliefs with women who have also undergone abortions is much better than arguing with people who have no idea what they are talking about because they have never experienced an unwanted pregnancy.

The topic derived from a question about whether women who just plain old get pregnant from having unprotected sex and end up aborting made it harder to defend the pro-choice position as opposed to say the “worthy” women who either through no fault of their own (rape/incest) or in grave medical peril (their own or that of the fetus) end up electing abortion. [side note, whole attitude reminds me of the distinction between the “deserving” and “undeserving” poor].

Over the course of our hilarious multi-day online conversations I realized that when I eventually come out of the abortion closet, I am not going to explain why I had an abortion. Any response seems like an effort to justify or rationalize my decision, which is thankfully still both legally and personally mine to make.

7 comments:

  1. If any reason is valid, are all valid. Normally when girls I counsel want to be the exception to their own "I don't believe in abortion" rule, they're not there because of rape, incest, or health. They're there because like so many of us, they miscalculated, misjudged, or just were mistaken. I can only hope that their experiences change their minds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SIGH, one of the hardest moments in my recent history was when one of my conservative students got pregnant. She had the baby and got married. She then had one of the "whoops" pregnancies pretty close to giving birth. She had an abortion. I then heard her talking about why she was voting for McCain. It was all I could do not to scream

    HOW CAN YOU VOTE FOR SOMEONE WHO WOULD TAKE AWAY A RIGHT YOU JUST EXERCISED?

    ahhhhhhhhhh

    ReplyDelete
  3. eli c - i totally get that too! oh man, now i want to write a post all about it. oh hell, i think i will. thanks for the food for thought :)
    (...food for blog?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooops previous post removed because personal information could be seen. If you post, and DO NOT want your private info revealed (like profile, email account etc), please make sure you are using an anonymous email account. If you make an error, send me an email and I will happily delete.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this blog. The reasons and the whys don't matter to me. What matter to me is that women have the choice and are able to do it safely.

    ReplyDelete

If you leave negative comments they will be deleted.